.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Susan Ito trying to do it all: reading writing mothering spousing daughtering working living

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Quik Blog

Thanks to Harlow's Monkey for letting me steal her quick-blogging format. For when there just isn't time for a real blog. This one is for the past TWO weeks.

Read/Reading:

Getting A Life, short stories by Helen Simpson

and
Why Do I Love These People? by Po Bronson
Too many blogs

Viewed:
Loggerheads (great)
My Life Without Me (also great)
The Secret Lives of Dentists (surprisingly good, based on Jane Smiley's novella The Age of Grief)

Memorable eats:


NY Cheesecake from Ruth Reichl's Garlic & Sapphires
a bunch of dim sum from Oakland Chinatown
two birthday dinners: one out at Sushi Zone (also in Oakland Chinatown!) and homemade one - crab cakes, salad, cupcakes

Cooked:

Chicken parmesan wreath for first day of school dinner
Grilled chicken teriyaki rice bowls
Flank steak
I can't remember what else, but SOMEthing appeared on the table virtually every night

Happenings:

Turned 47 (gulp)
Had a collage party with a bunch o' my girlfriends
Picked up younger daughter from circus camp
Hosted a dinner reception for 40+ people at our house
Started older daughter off at junior year of high school
Had intensive session with writing mentor friend and began outlining new novel
Picked up 17 yr old Japanese exchange student
Back to school shopping x 2

3 Comments:

Blogger Libby said...

Susan, Happy Birthday!

(And, I love the Helen Simpson short stories--are you liking them?)
xoxo

Sunday, August 27, 2006 1:35:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Susan -- This is such a great idea for a post. I particularly liked hearing about all the yummy things to eat! This is an extraordinarily busy time of year, which is funny because it's sort of still summer. But birthdays and back to school take up a lot of time.

Monday, August 28, 2006 7:45:00 AM

 
Blogger Susan said...

Libby, are you the one who turned me on to Helen Simpson? I really thought I was losing my mind when I received this book in the mail and I could not remember at ALL if or when I had ordered it, or why, and where I'd heard about it from. Was it you? At any rate, if it was, thank you! because I am enjoying it a LOT.

Monday, August 28, 2006 7:52:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>