.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Susan Ito trying to do it all: reading writing mothering spousing daughtering working living

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Heat Wave

It's too hot. I hate hot weather. I hate, hate, hate, hate it, unless there is readily accessible air conditioning. I grew up in hot, humid New Jersey summers, but we had central air conditioning which I think literally saved my life. We have no air conditioning here because this is the Bay Area and we have, allegedly, "natural air conditioning," but not often enough now, thanks to global warming or climate changes or whatever. I can't bear it.

I am now on the third lowest, and coolest floor of my house and it is still unbearably hot. (of course, I do have a very warm laptop on my lap) I am considering sleeping in the floorless "dirt room" under the house; my daughter just said it felt cool in there. It's either that or in the car with the AC running all night.

An hour ago, I was emerging from the oasis of the air-conditioned movie theater (Devil Wears Prada; I enjoyed it) and was going to head toward the bliss of an air-conditioned hotel. I could not take the idea of coming back here but they assured me it was "not so bad." I watched in dread as the temperature gauge on my car kept climbing up and up as I got closer to home. If it's 84 degrees outside at nearly 11pm in my neighborhood, it means it's closer to 90 inside the house. Like I said, I can't take it. A friend of mine says "heat is my Kryptonite" and I feel the same way. I'm melllllllting. I'm dyyyying. I cannot bear the feel of sweat on my skin unless I have deliberately put it there by working out and working out HARD. Nothing makes me angrier and more desperate feeling than sweating by just, um, sitting around and breathing. I don't know if it's perimenopause or I'm just a heat wimp, but I. Cannot. Stand. It.

I might just have to go back into the car and sleep there all night. If I sleep in the driveway with the motor running, I can't get carbon monoxide poisoning, can I? No, I'll probably just run out of gas.

9 Comments:

Blogger xtinehlee said...

I send you cooling thoughts (the color blue, ice, antarctica, frozen peas, sorbet, winter, snow...)

I painted all the south facing rooms in my face COOL colors (blues, greens) just because I hate anything HOT, ohmy!

But now you must do it. There will be more days like this...there are always a few unbearable weeks...you must.get.central.AC installed.

Screw the "natural air conditioning." It NEVER really works. :P Not when you REALLY NEED IT!!!!! No one understands what we go through!

Saturday, July 22, 2006 11:54:00 PM

 
Blogger Gaijin Mama said...

I love a/c, too! Japanese people (like my mother-in-law) think it makes you sick or something, and would rather swelter, but the heat and humidity make me so cranky! I also hate how the humidity here makes all of my paperbook covers curl. I can't stand it.

Sunday, July 23, 2006 12:33:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh you poor dear. I posted something cool last night on my blog -- I'm not sure if it'll help or not. (I'm guessing not, but hey, it could turn out that another of the magical properties of literature and photography is -- a/c?)

xxoo, BL

Sunday, July 23, 2006 9:09:00 AM

 
Blogger Susan said...

I ended up sleeping on the back porch, with a big fan aimed directly at my head. When I woke up at 7am, it was 89 degrees out there. Aughhh!

I am calling the A.C. people first thing in the morning.

Sunday, July 23, 2006 10:21:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it is of any comfort (probably not) it is just as hot in London, and I don't have any AC either.

Eat lots of icecream is my advice.

Monday, July 24, 2006 5:36:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took a walk this am at the Emeryville marina where it was nice and breezy. At my house it is roasting. May I suggest we all email our legislators about AB 32? Here is a link on climate change from the Union of Concerned Scientists. http://www.climatechoices.org/. It's only going to get hotter if we do nothing...

Leah

Monday, July 24, 2006 12:22:00 PM

 
Blogger mel said...

I will not forget our tragic quest for electric fans!

I did see someone on the bus yesterday who'd gotten one from a Walgreens in San Francisco...

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 3:16:00 PM

 
Blogger Susan said...

Melanie - this was in the SF Chronicle today!

((("We had cases and cases of fans,'' said Toni Urquhart, assistant manager at Orchard Supply Hardware in Concord. "There were at least 900 of them. I put them out on Thursday, and they were gone by Saturday.''

Urquhart said they sold out of electric fans, portable air conditioners, misting units and "swamp coolers'' (water-powered cooling devices). When she even ran out of fuses for air conditioners, she knew we were in uncharted territory.)))

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 3:35:00 PM

 
Blogger xtinehlee said...

In the SF Chronicle, I read that thousands of cows have died, some of them just dropping dead in the fields.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 10:39:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>