.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Susan Ito trying to do it all: reading writing mothering spousing daughtering working living

Saturday, January 21, 2006

More Book Art



This is the art made from books that hangs in our dining room. It was made completely from folded paperback books on a plywood frame. It's a startling piece of art: it looks like brushes, or brooms. From some angles, the printed characters look Japanese. But when you come up close and spread the pages apart with your fingers (it's interactive!) you can read it, and it's English type.

Can you tell why I like it so much?



Here is an accompanying statement by John Woodall, the artist, which brought tears to my eyes when I first read it.

These paper pieces, the folded books, represent a significant part of a larger work I have been developing for three years.

Conceptually, my concerns are human relations. What we do to and for one another. The human use of human beings. Humanity in service to itself. The potential for violence and healing. Our capacity for both.

The paper works reveal a particular use of time during a specific period, one year. This period of time is occupied with research, thought and a repetitious act - folding paper. These folded books have become a physical manifestation of that time and its use to address issues of violence and healing.

My assumption in this exercise is the presence of what is often thought to be lost. Love.


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, I'm glad to see this piece...as well as the other images of book art.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 8:04:00 PM

 
Blogger kate said...

this is gorgeous! And I love what the artist wrote, as well.

Monday, January 23, 2006 1:32:00 AM

 
Blogger Libby said...

Susan, that's so beautiful! Thanks for putting it up here for us to see...

Monday, January 23, 2006 4:36:00 PM

 
Blogger gayle said...

So gorgeous!!! How did I not see this when I was at your house?! I guess another visit is in order. :)

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 11:08:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>