.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Susan Ito trying to do it all: reading writing mothering spousing daughtering working living

Monday, January 16, 2006

Babysitting Myself



So I've been investigating various ways to limit my online use. I'm still thinking about it, mind you; I haven't quite done anything yet.

But I did download a 10-day trial version of a software called Mac Minder, which basically limits the software on your computer by program. So I can have unlimited use of Microsoft Word, which I use for writing, and a time-limit (between certain hours that I choose) on Mail or Firefox or Safari.

The other day (this shows how addicted I am) while I was waiting for my daughter who was at crew practice, I went to the public library to catch some Internet time. (I had been gone ALL DAY!) The library was about to close in 15 minutes; so there was a little clock ticking down the minutes left. It was an amazing incentive to do what I needed to do, and fast.

So now the question is, how much should I allow myself? Two hours a day? Is that still a lot? Is it not very much? I have no idea. I think what I will do is allow one hour of Mail and two hours of Internet.

And I think I'll start... tomorrow.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan, I need help with this, too. I think I'm just as addicted as you are... maybe more? Argh!! I just can't stop. Maybe we need a 12 step program for writers who are internet-addicted... I may check out that software myself...

Monday, January 16, 2006 9:24:00 AM

 
Blogger Susan said...

Well, I did the very first step. I programmed it so that I can only play 15 minutes a day of this goofy game (another addiction). That wasn't so hard. Often many days go by when I don't even open it up, but often when I do, there goes an hour (zip). So it was the first step in limiting myself in SOME way. Internet next. (gulp!!!)

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 8:12:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan, it's kewl that you know how to even do this, as most of us might not.

My internet addiction is feeling fairly positive, if not how I once thought of it. I wake up and over coffee read breaking news on Google, newspapers, starting with NYTIMES and then go to Salon and then to Table Talk. All of this takes about 2 1/2 hours but I learn a lot, and love reading online. Only after all this do I go to my emails which are lately way less interesting. I guess I signed up for everything, because on an average day I receieve over 200 only 10 or 5 are personal and important. So, I think were I writing as once I did, I would worry about this. But I'm not and enjoy it thoroghly. THen I have my day, and then only late at night like now do I check emails, and this was great reading yr blog.... xxoo WO

Monday, February 06, 2006 12:36:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>