.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Susan Ito trying to do it all: reading writing mothering spousing daughtering working living

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

To Nano or Not to Nano?


Long before the iPod Nano, there was NaNoWriMo: National Novel Writing Month (always in November). I did my first (and best) NaNoWriMo in 2002. I speedwrote my way through 175 pages in 30 days. Sometimes typing furiously in coffee shops with other NanoWriters, and sometimes just eking it away at home. I got down the first draft of the novel I'm still wrestling with, trying to finish and polish now. It was a great discipline, watching my word count go up like a thermometer, competing invisibly with other people in my neighborhood, my city, my state. I remember the day I ranked #9 in the city of Oakland. Happy day.

I kind of assumed I'd never go in for such madness again. But this November I will be away at writing residency, four days from coming home. Maybe it would be a good place to start NaNoWriMo again, to jumpstart myself so that I keep my momentum up when I return to "normal" life.

I'm thinking about it. I haven't signed up yet. But oh what a heady rush that was. Those wordcounts! Those pages! And many of them not half bad.

2 Comments:

Blogger Libby said...

that was the fall I tried to do NaNoWriMo, too. I wrote 87 pages, 34,000 words, so I fell short, but I still wonder if I've got something there. November always seems so hard, though, so busy...I just can't decide.

Your residency sounds so great, though! Enjoy, enjoy! (And, yes, let them miss you but not too much...)

Thursday, October 06, 2005 7:45:00 AM

 
Blogger Susan said...

Libby, 87 pages is a LOT. I don't think I've written that much this entire year. And yes, November is a tough month for this (I think they really ought to move it to January, you know, time for resolutions, new energy, fresh starts and all that).

Thursday, October 06, 2005 8:36:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>