.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Susan Ito trying to do it all: reading writing mothering spousing daughtering working living

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Why Writers are Insane


Thanks to Nova over at Distraction #99, who just wrote an absolutely brilliant post about writers who have a million voices, all telling them something different re their work:

Do you ever wonder what the correct answer is when it comes to revising a piece of fiction? In my case, a novel, my second, sitting in its little box in the dark, cluttered hole I call an apartment, waiting for me to decide its fate.

I'm hearing voices in my head, and they're all saying different things.

Voice 1 (literary agent): Book is missing its middle. Revise and call me back. [Unfortunately this was said six months ago. Will she still remember my book, my name?]

Voice 2 (literary agent): Book is not marketable with characters such as they are. People don't want to read about broken people who do not turn happy and good at the end. Sorry. Even if you revise, please please don't make me read it again.

Voice 3 (book editor): Answer tk. [Or is no answer the answer that means "fuck no" or "I hope to never hear from you again for as long as I live"?]

Voice 4 (film producer): It's almost finished, but a revision is needed.

Voice 5 (artist acquaintance): DO NOT REVISE JUST BECAUSE OTHER PEOPLE SAY YOU HAVE TO. Stick to your vision, self-publish if it comes to that, but never, ever compromise just to please someone else.

It goes on. It's fantastic. I was howling and cringing with recognition as I read.

2 Comments:

Blogger mel said...

Ha! I love that there are 20+ voices, too - that is truly how neurotic we are. Multiple Personality Disorder? I think writers invented it.

Sunday, June 18, 2006 8:56:00 PM

 
Blogger Linda Crosfield said...

Ouch! That was a little too close to home.

Linda

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 1:17:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>