.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Susan Ito trying to do it all: reading writing mothering spousing daughtering working living

Friday, June 09, 2006

I Love Beautiful Writing



I received a wonderful big box of BOOKS to prepare for my panel at the Book Group Expo next weekend. I pawed through them, happier than I would be than if it had been a big box of Godiva chocolates. They all look great -- but I kind of immediately gravitated to the haunting looking cover of Kim Edwards' book, The Memory Keeper's Daughter. I love the floaty, translucent baby dress - it gave me shivers. I opened to the first chapter and just got sucked in instantly:
The snow started to fall several hours before her labor began. A few flakes first, in the dull gray late-afternoon sky, and then wind-driven swirls and eddies around the edges of their wide front porch. He stood by her side at the window, watching sharp gusts of snow billow, then swirl and drift to the ground. All around the neighborhood, lights came on, and the naked branches of the trees turned white.
Reading that made me feel both excited and calm at once. I felt like I was in wonderful hands. I've finished the first two chapters now, and they have not disappointed. I am thrilled to be able to meet the author of this book next week, and to have a beautiful book to take on my writing retreat, and to remind myself of why I love words and writing and reading so much.

3 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Finished the book this weekend. It's fantastic.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 8:45:00 AM

 
Blogger rdl said...

adding this one to my list; looks like i'll be adding more if I keep reading. nice blog. will return to read more.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 10:27:00 AM

 
Blogger Janet Lee Carey said...

I really enjoyed reading your blog. Very peaceful. What a haunting cover with the floating baby dress!
The cover for my new fantasy with Simon & Schuster THE BEAST OF NOOR is also a little frightening -- though it's fantasy, not horror.

Keep well and keep reading --

A fellow writer and book lover,

Janet Carey
www.dreamwalks.blogspot.com

Thursday, June 15, 2006 2:18:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>