.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Susan Ito trying to do it all: reading writing mothering spousing daughtering working living

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Musical Connections

Ever since I wrote about my youthful "hobby" of going to concerts, I've been going to more concerts, and buying more tickets to concerts. I saw KT Tunstall at the Fillmore, and have bought tickets for Bruce Springsteen and Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris this summer.

Last night, I took my daughter and her friend to the Freight & Salvage for the first time. It was so much fun. She had turned me onto an adorable folky group called The Weepies, whom she'd heard while watching Gray's Anatomy.

My husband and I have been listening to folkish music since before she was born. When she was little-little, she liked it, but then as she started developing her own musical "taste" (okay, I shouldn't be sarcastic) and gravitated toward N'Sync and the Backstreet Boys (she was only in 5th grade, I can't really hold it against her), she started mocking our musical preferences and running from the room holding her ears every time we put on a CD.

So imagine my surprise when she starts actually listening to, and liking, "our" music. And how she is turning us on to music that we all like. She was excited to see that Laurie Lewis is coming up at the Freight, and we might all go together. Our daughter, excited about a fiddler! Ha!

Maybe it really did imprint on her when she was little, when we took her to the Strawberry Music Festival when she was two. It's just nice to have something like this to share. I never would've dreamed it.

And one of these days, I really, really, really want to learn how to play the banjo. My secret dream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>