.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Susan Ito trying to do it all: reading writing mothering spousing daughtering working living

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Funny

Thanks to Rebecca at Writing Blind for cracking me up this morning. I needed it. Last night I taught my last class for the semester. It's been a very up and down semester - I have great students, but they seemed to fall away, more and more every week, and I think we ended the semester with a grand total of nine. It was hard not to take it personally sometime, but the little group that remained were really wonderful. We had a pizza party and talked about the writing life, and I got to speak with everyone one-on-one for a little bit. I was all adrenalized and happy when I was packing up last night.

This morning I was rushing all about picking up kids for my 4-kid carpool, and I just dashed out of the house. I got to the office, ready to work, and pulled my laptop out of its case. No power cord. Damn. I knew I'd have to make a 45-minute round trip drive back home. I drove home. I tore the house apart. No power cord. I'd come home really late last night, tired, and checked a few emails before going to bed, but never plugged it in. So where was my cord?

I drove over to Berkeley. It took me 15 minutes to find a parking space. I scoured the classroom, went to the Lost & Found box, talked to the administrator, the tech assistant, and the security guard. None of them had seen my power cord.

I can't work without being plugged in. My whole life is in this computer. My work life, my writing life, everything. I trudged over to the Mac store on Shattuck. They could replace my Apple cord for ninety bucks, or give me some generic one for fifty. I took the generic one. I drove back to work.

That all took two hours. Grumpy. So thanks, Rebecca, for the funny dog blog cartoon. I needed it today.

2 Comments:

Blogger writingblind said...

Anytime. Glad it made you laugh.

Friday, April 07, 2006 3:52:00 PM

 
Blogger Patry Francis said...

Oh, me, too--my whole life is on line. Somehow I don't think that's entirely a good thing...Love the cartoon though.

Monday, April 10, 2006 9:31:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>