.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Susan Ito trying to do it all: reading writing mothering spousing daughtering working living

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Does the West Bean Pay the Fish a Soup?


Life has been a little too overwhelming for blogging this week. I am very grateful to Gayle for giving me a much-needed Engrish laugh yesterday when I went to this link from her blog. This guy has been living in China with his family and this unbelievable menu was from a restaurant they visited. I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. I'm not sure which is funnier, the menu items, or his commentary on them.

Have fun, and I hope to return soon. Right now (Sunday, 6am) I'm heading off to Sacramento for my girl's first crew race. Go Strokes!

6 Comments:

Blogger mel said...

Dude, those are unbelievable. What IS cowboy leg??

There's a book out that has English-translation mistakes from all around the world - it is HYSTERICAL. We cried laughing one day in the break room when I was still working at B&N. Let me see if I can find the title...

Sunday, March 12, 2006 8:13:00 AM

 
Blogger mel said...

Susan - it's called, "Here Speeching American: A Very Strange Guide to English as It Is Garbled around the World" by Kathryn Petras, Ross Petras.

Some excerpts (courtesy of www.bn.com):

• Feel like shopping?
We have no good things to sell.
-shop sign, Lovina Beach, Bali

• Feeling sick?
Are you haunted by the horribles? Do you run after your own nose?
-Japanese medical form

• Wondering what to wear?
A sports jacket may be worn to dinner, but no trousers.
-in a French hotel brochure

• Wondering where to eat?
Grill and Roast your clients! Open for lunch, dinner and Sunday Brunch.
-slogan of the Hibiscus restaurant in the Jakarta Hilton International

But don't take our word for it, come see for yourself. And if that's too much to ask, remember the sage advice from the staff of a Taipei hotel: "If there is anything we can do to assist and help you, please do not contact us."

Sunday, March 12, 2006 8:18:00 AM

 
Blogger Always Allison said...

Carbon burns black bowel?! Yum! SO HILARIOUS. Hope the race went well, how fun!

Sunday, March 12, 2006 3:26:00 PM

 
Blogger Susan said...

Melanie, those are great. Yes, I am haunted by the horribles! And I'd definitely like some cowboy leg.

The crew race was a heartbreaker. 41 degrees, freezing wind, pouring rain, and our girl's boat lost by half a second. Yes. That's .5 second. AUGHHHHH! We got to see The Agony of Defeat up close.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 3:51:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg tears of laughter running down my cheeks!

great break from writing report cards. thank you thank you Susan!!!

leah

Monday, March 13, 2006 3:39:00 PM

 
Blogger xtinehlee said...

oh i forwarded this around the office, and everyone was in cahoots chuckling!

you must check out www.engrish.com :)

Monday, March 13, 2006 9:11:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>