.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Susan Ito trying to do it all: reading writing mothering spousing daughtering working living

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Author Party at my House!



When I was getting my MFA at Mills College, I took a fascinating class called "Gender and Interpretation" with a great professor named Madeleine Kahn. I remember writing a foam-at-the-mouth dueling paper in response to another student who thought the movie "The Piano" (you remember, that great love story where a mute Holly Hunter gets her finger chopped off by her sweetheart?) was a groundbreaking feminist work. I begged to differ, and compared the movie to "The Little Mermaid," about another great mute heroine who loses part of herself in the name of love. Wow, that was a fun paper to write.

Apparently it was fascinating (and sometimes maddening) to be standing at the head of this classroom as well, and it resulted in Madeleine writing a memoir about teaching at an all-women's college.

I'm hosting a fantastic dessert-and-discussion book party for "Why Are We Reading Ovid's Handbook on Rape?" : Teaching and Learning at a Women's College at my house this Saturday night. You can indulge in the famous and delicous Pumpkin Bars, and engage in what promises to be a lively, sparky discussion. Come one come all! (but please email me to RSVP)

4 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

Oooh, this sounds great! Wish I could be there (and I'll add the book to my wish list!)

Thursday, November 17, 2005 1:50:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, if I only had the plane fare from NYC! I look forward to reading about the event here, and of course to reading the book.

Saturday, November 19, 2005 5:22:00 AM

 
Blogger Susan said...

sue and kate, wish you could have been here too. It was FUN and really interesting and delicious. Pumpkin bars! Lemon bars! Chocolate chip bars! Madeleine spoke eloquently and there was a great discussion afterward. I got to see people I hadn't seen in years (old Mills classmates) and met others for the first time.

Saturday, November 19, 2005 10:40:00 PM

 
Blogger Miriam said...

And here I thought I was all alone in my horror over The Piano. I wish I lived closer Susan and could come to one of your book parties. They sound wonderful.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 7:25:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>