.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Susan Ito trying to do it all: reading writing mothering spousing daughtering working living

Monday, July 25, 2005

Semi-Crashing a Writers' Conference


So I'm kind of participating in the Napa Valley Writers' Conference, and kind of not. I really didn't want to submit a manuscript, and be part of a workshop, and have to read a dozen manuscripts. Although I've done that before, and Napa is really one of the best. It's in a totally gorgeous setting, and there are great readings every night set in stunning wineries, and it's all just kind of idyllic.

This year I decided to take part in a more a la carte style. I came up last night for Lan Samantha Chang's reading at the Robert Mondavi winery. (wonderful reading, gorgeous setting with really nice art, and okay wine) Today I'm hanging out at Scarlett's Country Inn, writing and lounging by their sweet little pool. It's about a hundred degrees outside. I thought about going to a lecture about "Time and Fiction" this afternoon but decided it's better to work on my own stuff. Tonight I'll go to the reading by Christopher Tilghman and poet Jane Hirschfield at the Niebaum-Coppola winery.

I really like doing it like this. Normally writers' conferences are so frenetic, there isn't a hope of writing at all, and that's really what I'm craving these days more than anything: time and focus for my own writing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>