.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Susan Ito trying to do it all: reading writing mothering spousing daughtering working living

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

I've Been Snarked

So I've received the very dubious honor of being named "Nitwit of the Day" by Miss Snark, the snarky literary agent. Last week I entered her short-story contest and emailed in a story that had a bunch of mandatory random phrases. (except, darn, I forgot to include "Bat Segundo" and thus have 10 points subtracted) This morning I noticed that my story was #65 in the queue, and she had actually given it some not totally cruel feedback. "I'm amazed at entire stories that manifest in 338 words!" The strange thing is that I could've sworn it was like 499 words. I really worked to eliminate any extras.

So this morning, I was checking my Suspected Spam box, and saw that an email from Miss Snark has arrived about two minutes previous. I immediately answered back, thanking her for notifying me that my story had been posted. Then I went to the site and see that she was writing about the Nitwit of the Day, and it had been ME. She was having a total snarkfit because she had received an automated response saying that she her email was going into my Suspect File because she wasn't in my address book. I wrote her back quickly as a way to let her know that I had indeed read her email, even if she hadn't filled out the little form.

This happens all the time. I regularly receive about 300 "regular" spam emails a day, and about 50-80 "suspected" spam emails. About five out of those 50-80 are from people I really want to hear from. Most of them fill out the little form, and even the ones who don't, go directly into my regular address book. Most people don't have a fit about it. But Miss Snark spluttered away.

Well, let's see. You send in a contest entry. You think you might hear back?
Well, she received about 111 entries. No, I did not think I was going to hear back by email. I thought it was all going to take place on her website.
What if this was something that MATTERED?? See below.
I've yapped about this before; if you send something to an agent, list the email you send to in your address book. You look like a nitwit if I get this. Save your nitwittery for people who are clueless--not YOU!!! I don't even know what this last sentence means.

So I look like a nitwit. And guess what: I got two "request to be added to your address book" last week from two agents, both of whom were interested in working with me, and both of whom did not blow a gasket because they were not already in my address book. I added them both immediately, responded immediately, and all was well.

All I can say is, I'm glad that my agent is my agent, and that Miss Snark isn't. So. I'm guessing I'm not going to be winning that short story contest! (Miss Snark awards 27 random points just for the heck of it, and I think she'd like to eviscerate me, just for the heck of it)

2 Comments:

Blogger melanie said...

I think your story was great, regardless. But maybe Miss Snark was having a particularly snarky day, or was low on gin.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 4:52:00 PM

 
Blogger fertilitybitch said...

Ski--

So whazzup with this agent thing? Do tell, please! Sounds happy!!

xo,
ml

Sunday, April 09, 2006 11:57:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

 
/body>