.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Susan Ito trying to do it all: reading writing mothering spousing daughtering working living

Monday, January 09, 2006

An Agent with Attitude



I have recently discovered an endlessly fascinating, hilarious, slightly painful but ultimately very helpful blog by one Miss Snark, who comments, quite acerbically, on topics close to any writer's heart. Attitude-wise, she is pretty much the polar opposite of gentle, generous Dr. Sue, but the end result - a better and wiser writer - is the same.

In December, she hosted a rather astonishing event, where she offered to read and provide commentary on over one hundred novel synopses, for free. She savaged about 90% of them, and gave detailed comments and sarcastic line-notes for all to see. She published both the synopses and her comments on her blog, and entitled the whole thing The Crapometer. (you can read through all one hundred entries if you check out her archives from December 25, 2005) It's like a car wreck you can't pull your eyes away from. But I learned a lot. I haven't attempted to write a synopsis of my novel yet, but believe me, when I do, I will be referring back to The Crapometer in order to see what NOT to do.

She seems mean. But she's got a heart of gold to let us in on the truth like this. People ask her advice on everything from formatting to rubber bands, and she's got a snarky answer for it all.

2 Comments:

Blogger C(h)ristine said...

I am now a big fan of Miss Snark! (But then again, I love Simon Cowell and straight talking, tough love feedback). :)

Monday, January 09, 2006 9:14:00 PM

 
Blogger melanie said...

oooh, is she like Simon? Loooove Simon!

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 1:19:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

 
/body>